Friday, June 17, 2011

A Challenge to be Forthright

Since this post is about being forthright, I want to be upfront and mention that I myself need much improvement in this area. I have always desired to be more upfront and honest, but I tend to lack the courage to initiate the process. The old adage "practice what you preach" has been in the forefront of my mind whilst pondering the theme of this post, and I hope you will take my words into consideration before deeming me a hypocrite. I am fully aware that I lack the assertiveness to be forthright on a regular basis due to my introverted personality, but this concept is something I would like to work on adopting.
Like all of you, I am a sinner and a work in progress. I struggle with moments of self-righteousness and acting in a passive aggressive fashion. But I have come to the realization that this behavior is unacceptable and needs to change. The truth is that I have used my passive aggressiveness for deceit and manipulation because I was unsure of how to be assertive and forthright when people act in a manner that I don't agree with. I have finally come to the end of my rope of patience with myself and others who act in the same manipulative manner, which is why I am trying so hard to change. I am fed up with myself and others who deem it acceptable to play mind games in order to get their way or just to get under someone else's skin.
As a Christian, I should always be forthright and honest. Proverbs 28:13 states, "He who rebukes a man will in the end gain more favor than he who has a flattering tongue." We all seem to grow too concerned with what people will think of us if we truly tell them how we feel about a matter or their behavior, so we end up lying to please the other person, which just creates anger and resentment in our hearts. Instead of consistently falling into this cycle and being trapped by our bitterness, we must try and focus on the Lord and what He thinks on the matter and how to handle it. He doesn't want us lying to others, or to become bitter, which is why Ephesians 4:25-27 states, "Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor for we are all members of one body. In your anger do not sin: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold."
I dare you all to start living more honestly and to be forthright when you have an issue with a fellow Christian's behavior. Do not approach the situation in an accusing manner and refrain from insults. The world will be a much happier place, though, when people start living in a righteous manner and stop trying to manipulate each other for personal gain. The Relient K song "Come Right Out and Say It" reminds me of this concept, so consider the following lyrics:
Why don't you
Come right out and say it?
Even if the words are probably gonna hurt
I'd rather have the truth
Than something insincere
Why don't you
Come right out and say it (come right out and say it)?
What it is you're thinking
Though I'm thinking it's not what I wanna hear

No comments:

Post a Comment