Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Prayer Excerpts from The 4:8 Principle

Today I was rearranging some books and happened across a printout of a prayer from a book I never finished reading called The 4:8 Principle by Tommy Newberry. This led me to pull the book off my shelf and flip through it in order to locate the page the prayer was on; in doing so, I came across another useful prayer to post along with it. The following prayers are exact quotes from The 4:8 Principle.

A Prayer for Emotional Strength
Father,
Thank you for the adventure of my life and for being with me every step along the way. Keep my mind from dwelling on what's wrong with people and situations, and instead, help me to focus on what's right, excellent, and worthy of praise. Show me how to affirm your power so that I don't think negatively about my problems. Inspire me to interpret the conditions I face in such a way that I remain constantly empowered to improve them.
I praise you for giving me dominion over my thought life and consequently over the quality of my emotions. Protect me from acting on feelings that are inconsistent with your Word. I know that obedience to your principles is the only true path to emotional health, vitality, and abundant joy. Just as figs do not come from thornbushes, I know that positive circumstances do not come from negative thoughts.
Teach me how to act in a manner consistent with uncontainable joy. Grant me the courage to act the way I would act if you were physically in my presence encouraging me. Thank you!
In Jesus' name,
Amen


A Prayer for Freedom
Heavenly Father,
I praise you for being everything that I need. Thank you for loving me perfectly. Whenever I struggle with the pain of dark emotions, fill me with the light of your presence. I trust you to put your healing hand where I need it most.
Please reveal any errors in my thinking that may be preventing me from experiencing life the way you intend. Protect me from the widespread mind games that can smother my potential for joy. Alert me to the truth of your Word in all situations, particularly in the midst of negative distortions and exaggerations.
Remind me to focus on the big picture and what's really important, especially in my most cherished relationships. Fill my heart with compassion for the trouble, pain, and anguish that rule over the lives of so many people. Keep me relaxed and secure so that I don't overreact to the conditioned negativity of others.
I know that your will for me does not include unproductive negative emotions. How great that is! Thank you for giving me power, love, and a sound mind so that I may live with joy all days of my life.
In Jesus' name,
Amen

I am hoping that I can restructure my thought processes by focusing on Philippians 4:8, which states, "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things."

No comments:

Post a Comment