Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Proper Sleep is Essential

Many know that sleep is important for their health. In order to have a strong immune system, it is recommended to get at least 8 hours per night. To be able to run a race to the best of your abilities, the same amount of sleep is recommended to assist in boosting performance. What I have discovered recently, though, is that proper sleep is essential for a healthy spiritual life.
Due to jetlag, sharing stories from my European adventure, an 80 mile kayak trip, and socializing until all hours of the morning thanks to my new relationship, getting proper sleep has not been at the top of my to-do list. Normally I function well enough on limited sleep, even without the aid of coffee. But as of late, I have struggled maintaining a positive mindset. I believe that this is due to the simple fact that when tired, people have a decreased ability to focus in their spiritual life. When awake, most are conscious enough of the necessity of prayer and asking God for assistance throughout the day. We note the blessings that are heaped upon us each day, but that tends to be eliminated when one is exhausted.
When I am sleep deprived, I always sense that I enter into a more self-centered frame of mind, which allows Satan to do his work more easily. I become more frustrated with my reserved personality, slowly have inklings of envy when I compare myself to others, and have the inability to be completely happy for others. I can tell you from personal experience that this is not a place that you want to find yourself mentally or spiritually.
At times that I find myself exhausted beyond belief, I try to remember the importance of both sleep and prayer. While sleep helps rejuvenate the body physically, prayer can help emotionally and spiritually. Jesus serves as intercessor for us and when we find ourselves weakened to our sin nature due to lack of sleep, it is important to remember that God is in charge and can provide help. 1 Corinthians 10:13 says, "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."
We are bound to be tempted throughout the course of our lives, which increases exponentially when we are tired from lack of sleep. What we must not forget is that it is important to keep our guard up against temptations from Satan. Satan wants us to sin and be ashamed of our thoughts and actions so that we stray from God. But we must recapture our thoughts, even once we are beyond exhausted, because God can help us endure all temptations. We need to stop being convinced that we can get out of our negativity and sin on our own and begin to rely more on the power of God, the Creator of the Universe. He is aware of everything that you are going through and will not leave you high and dry in the midst of trouble. So do yourself a favor and get a proper amount of sleep as many nights per week as possible in order to more thoroughly enjoying the blessings that each day provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment