Thursday, March 31, 2011

Discipline and Focus

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 states, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." After reading this passage. it struck me that I was spending too much time aimlessly running instead of focusing on my actual goal for the marathon. My hope is that I complete it in under 4 hours, but I have not put in much time thinking over how I might accomplish this feat. After consulting my father, he reminded me to not go out too fast and to build up my core strength, along with my shoulder strength. His advice gave me areas to put extra effort into so that I am as prepared as I possibly can be on race day. This means I will need to discipline myself so that I can maintain an exercise routine that includes both running and strength training.
We must not go through life aimlessly either. Our purpose on this earth is to do our part in promoting the Kingdom of God. We are not here to build up wealth and friends, as useful as we might find them at the moment. Much like in my training, we need to reorient our focus on the end goal, which is eternal life. Once we remind ourselves that heaven is our goal, we will look at how we go about our lives in a new fashion. Instead of merely speaking to people in passing, we should do our best to get to know them and connect with them because one never knows who is searching for a friend in life. We can all use encouragement, and there is no better encouragement than the Gospel of our Lord, Jesus Christ. If we are able to encourage others with this Good News and build a strong relationship with God through loving Jesus, then we have fulfilled our earthly purpose and maintained our spot in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment