Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Fellowship is a Blessing

Following Bible study Sunday night and chilling at my apartment/school Monday, I am realizing the necessity for fellowship.  It is a blessing to find individuals who believe in you, share similar beliefs and ambitions, and have a true interest in what you are doing with your life.  It's invigorating to talk for hours with those who can easily share, as well as listen, about anything from missions trips and running, to previous injuries and future goals.
Finding those who get excited about what goals you are pursuing in life is also a fantastic feeling.  I ran into my professor at school and she was telling me that she was excited for marathon training and us participating in Delaware.  Thankfully the original lofty goal has been reduced to a completely reasonable achievement, with the major focus being on fun and completing the race.  My roommate is equally excited for my future and we are determined to help each other with training.
I am extremely thankful for the people that God has blessed me with.  In the past, I have had to make difficult decisions about the kind of individuals I surround myself with, but lately, I have come to the conclusion that I have finally found positive people to have in my life.  Bible study feels like home, my roommate and I encourage each other to perform to the best of our abilities no matter what, and I have a respected professor who believes I can achieve a running goal that has eluded me for 3 years.  I also have many individuals in my life that always have my back and I can discuss the Word with. This is very important to me because 1 Corinthians 15:33 states, "Do not be misled: 'Bad company corrupts good character.'"  I take that as I should not be constantly surrounded by negative influences; not that I should never hang out with individuals that I don't always see eye to eye.  It is not my job to judge, and just because you are different from me, does not mean that we cannot hangout.  Unfortunately, it just cannot be on a consistent basis because I take the Word of God seriously.  I need to make sure that I have close friends who share my beliefs, understand my goals, and can bolster my confidence because they understand what makes my mind tick.  Thus the reason I am very grateful to have a friend with a psychology degree so that I can have "couch time" to ease my mind when I get frazzled.  I'm equally thankful for the families who adopt me during the school year and discuss the Gospel with me over dinner so that I can refresh my Spirit in the midst of my course work.
Whether it involves discussing or participating in sports, God, or relaxing activities, I am thankful for my fellowship with those that have been put into my life for a reason.  I can learn much from those who have been strategically placed in my life, and I only need to pray to discover who is truly meant to be around for life or just a season.

No comments:

Post a Comment