Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Enjoyment After Questioning

Today I went on a quick run with my roommate.  Nothing about the run was ordinary, which is probably why I enjoyed it.  It had just stopped raining, which was preceded by 2 inches of snow and a coating of ice (mind you it's winter in the Poconos), so the terrain was unpredictable to say the least.  About a half mile into the run, we had to stop for a freight train to pass before we could continue.  There were huge puddles that we desperately tried to avoid and snowbanks that we had to seek refuge in when cars came our way and the sidewalk disappeared.  The icing on the cake was when a car passed us and sprayed slush on us; we both burst out laughing.  Our last hurdle, literally, was a snow pile that we decided to conquer before turning for home.  Once we finished, I exclaimed that it was the most fun I had had on a run in a long time.
My reasoning for this running feeling like such a success was because I was finally accepting that I could not put all trust in my own abilities.  I realized yesterday that I easily get bored and lose confidence in myself.  I believe the reason I haven't been able to wrap my head around training for another marathon is because I'm not sure that I can do it.  Once I stop only looking to my own abilities and trust in the Lord, I know that I will be able to accomplish my goals.  God has blessed me with training partners, and I fully intend to utilize them because I believe they have been brought into my life for a purpose.
In times like this, I turn to Psalm 62:8, which declares, "Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge." God knows that in my heart I am hesitant to do another marathon after dropping out of Harrisburg, so He has provided me with trusted individuals to help me along the way.  Another pertinent verse is Proverbs 3:5-6, which states, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."  Every step of the way, I plan on honoring God by acknowledging Him with every step of the 26.2 mile race and attributing the appointment of training partners to Him.  I know in my heart that I cannot do this alone, so I plan on calling on God through the whole process and making sure that I hardly ever train alone in the physical sense in order to remain confident on the path God has set as my course.

No comments:

Post a Comment