Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Importance of Being Sober-Minded

"And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit." ~Ephesians 5:18 

Before anybody is up in arms about this post, I assure you that the point of it is not to condemn anybody who drinks alcohol. I agree it's nice to be able to have a cold brew with pizza, or a glass of red wine with dinner. Heck, Jesus is even known for turning water into wine at a wedding feast! Also, I believe those who call for abstinence from alcohol stray into legalistic territory because nowhere in the Bible does it say, "do not drink." Rather, the emphasis is put on not getting drunk, thus the reason for the title of this post.
I think it's important for followers of Christ to be acutely aware of how their actions impact others and should always assume that somebody is watching them. Like one song states, "You're the only Jesus some will ever see," so it's important to walk in a righteous manner in order to keep outsiders from making blanket assumptions about Christians. I had a real wake up call myself about a year ago. I lived about a quarter mile from a dive bar and went there one Saturday night with my roommate to play pool. We spent a couple hours there and by the end of the night, I'd had too much to drink and was stumbling through the snow back home to our apartment. I didn't feel well the next morning so I skipped church. Throughout the day I was debating about whether to go to my Bible study, but I ended up choosing to go. I think I felt the need to make an appearance and repent to a fellow Christian about how I missed church because of a hangover. It's definitely not something I'm proud of, but I've definitely learned from my mistakes and have curbed my drinking ever since in order to live out a better testimony for those around me. That's not to say I've shunned drinking all together, but I just do so in moderation to keep myself from getting into an uncomfortable predicament.
I find it very interesting that the time was taken to actually outline what drunkenness looks like. Clearly it must be important if this was included in the wisdom that was imparted to us. If one reads Proverbs 23:29c-35, the following is depicted: "Who has redness of eyes? Those who tarry long over wine; those who go to try mixed wine. Do not look at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup and goes down smoothly. In the end it bites like a serpent and stings like an adder. Your eyes will see strange things, and your heart utter perverse things. You will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea, like one who lies on the top of a mast. 'They struck me,' you will say, 'but I was not hurt; they beat me, but I did not feel it. When shall I awake? I must have another drink.'"
For anybody who has not gotten drunk, I suggest that you absorb this passage and decide if it's something you ever want to experience, and hopefully that answer is no. When drunkenness is laid bare like this, it is my hope that it will turn people away from excessive consumption of alcohol. Who would want to voluntarily take part in something that causes you to lose inhibitions, speak perverse things, and causes you to lose control in any manner of ways? I surely don't and one of the main reasons I avoid excessive drinking is due to the long lineage of alcoholics on both sides of my family. I've heard enough awful stories about how alcohol perverted certain relative's personalities and actions that I've vowed never to be like them.
I believe the most important reason to maintain sobriety, though, is in order to meet spiritual warfare head on. If alcohol clouds our minds, the devil will gain a foothold in our lives. When our inhibitions are compromised, it's easier for the devil to take advantage of us and drag us down. He wants nothing more than to fill our minds with fear and doubt about our relationship with God, and if we are not sober-minded, we aren't in the mindset to pray or deny him access. 1 Peter 5:8 is very blunt in stating, "Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." We need to be keenly aware of the sneak attacks the devil unleashes on us in order to protect ourselves from being completely devoured and dragged down into the pit.
My take away point is that by maintaining a sober mind, you not only preserve your physical wellbeing, but also your spiritual wellbeing, which is of the upmost importance. One must have a clear mind in order to be utilized by God and in order for one to use discernment through the Holy Spirit. We must be on guard at all times because the spiritual warfare will not cease until the return of Jesus Christ. So rather than being filled with alcohol, be filled with the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment