Friday, January 18, 2013

Applying Luke 6:28 to Lance Armstrong

"Bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you." ~Luke 6:28

I had no interest in watching last night's broadcast of Lance Armstrong's interview with Oprah, mainly because the crucial aspects of the interview had already been leaked and confirmed earlier in the week. Lance Armstrong finally admitted to doping and lying for over a decade. What's hard to swallow is how he thought it was okay to do that, and also sue those who were telling the truth this whole time. If I were any of those people who got thrown under the bus by Lance, I would have a bitter taste in my mouth and question the motives behind his admission now. It's easy to want to hate him, revile him, slander him, and desire revenge, but that's not what this post is about. 
Anybody who knows me well knows that I can't stand liars. I would rather somebody punch me in the face than feel compelled to lie to my face because at least I can trust the person who punched me. I would find it hard to forgive Lance Armstrong for his lies, manipulation, deceit, and strong arming for over a decade, but forgiveness is what needs to be extended. It shouldn't occur over night, but those wronged by Lance must forgive in order to move on and get on with their lives. As hard as it is to fathom, we are called to forgive and pray for those who have wronged us. The mercy that God has extended to us is the same mercy that we should extend to others. It is my hope that those hurt by Lance Armstrong, and the list is lengthy I'm sure, can get to a point of forgiveness and will pray for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment