Wednesday, March 28, 2012

W.A.I.T. Part 11: Who is Guiding Your Steps on the Path?


"In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps." ~Proverbs 16:9

Many have this mistaken idea that they are in control of their own lives. They feel that they can seek their own destiny without consulting anybody, let alone God. The problem with this is that you can't lead the way in your own life when you don't have any idea about where you're going. Also, you can't just go with the flow because everybody else is since that is a sure fire way to end up on the path of destruction. We are warned about this by Jesus in Matthew 7:13 when he tells us to, "'Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.'" Gauging our progress based on worldly perspectives is a definite way to fail and end up floundering. What we need in order to thrive, is God. Believe me, I've learned this from experience in the not so distant past.
In Jeremiah 29:11, it says, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" This is a promise that we can hold onto, if only we would just trust in the written Word. Unfortunately, we tend to lack patience and try to accomplish tasks our way without consulting the all knowing God. This is because Americans are raised to be go-getters, constantly accomplishing multitudes of tasks simultaneously, which doesn't leave much room for consulting God.
A good illustration for this can be found within the lyrics to the song "New York City" by Among Savages. The song seems to be about someone who felt that they could follow their dreams by moving to the city, which they feel will lead to answering all of their questions about life. On the contrary, what is said is, "Yeah, you came here with nothing and you're leaving with the same. Sometimes the road that you were walking on is going the wrong way." So easily we feel that we are on the right path in life, but then we discover we were wrong all along. This song goes on to say, "Now if you leave, will you feel defeated? Cause you didn't take from the city as much as the city took from you. What if you'd stayed? What if you'd done what you were thinking? I'd rather you give up on life in the city than giving up on life too." When people become so convinced that they are traveling on the right path in life, it can be absolutely devastating when reality knocks on the door and you have to admit that you were wrong all along. Many end up playing the "what if" game instead of focusing on the new path that is before them at the base of that closed door. It can be so easy to just shut down and give up on life all together if all you had to hold onto was that one unmet dream. One needs to realize that there is life beyond the fading dream. I think that's why at the end of the song there is a line that says, "Follow your dreams, but beware of the illusions. You won't fill the void in your heart with a bank statement and a car." These material objects are what tend to drive people who attempt to control their own destiny, but they are missing the entire point of life, being gravely deceived. Those who crave only objects of monetary value are the ones most likely to give up on life completely after they stumble and fall in the mud on the path of their dream. What they truly should be seeking to fill any void in life is Jesus.
Jesus is the missing piece to everybody's puzzle. He is our guide and should be the one who leads the way in our lives. Back in the fall, I neglected my relationship with Jesus and my path seemed to lead only to despair. Life wasn't what I thought it would be and my dreams seemed to be crumbling faster every week. I needed to realize that God was in charge and that I wasn't. Though it took time, I finally accepted the trials that I was facing and I've gotten better at allowing God to guide my steps. Psalm 37:23-24 has really helped because it says, "The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand." I have surely stumbled numerous times in the past couple of months, but trusting more in God and knowing that their is a reason behind the path that I'm currently on has helped me to thrive more as a Christian. I'm slowly beginning to look to other's needs instead of remaining so focused on my own. Though I still have a long way to go on this path in life, I believe that God knows exactly what He wants of me. I may not know my purpose, but I know I have a purpose in Him. I want to thrive as He leads the way.
And on those days when it's hard to just crawl out of bed, I'll think of the chorus to the song "Carry On" by Fun:
If you're lost and alone
Or you're sinking like a stone
Carry on
May your past be the sound
Of your feet upon the ground
Carry on

No comments:

Post a Comment