Thursday, March 29, 2012

Motivation to Run

I get some motivational daily devotion emails from PrayFit. I find these short little devotions encouraging, but today, the devotion really convicted my heart. The title of the devotion was Health Doesn't Come Naturally. At first, this might appear to be a simplistic approach, almost making you want to say, "Well, no kidding." I then looked to the verse that was featured, which happened to be 1 Corinthians 6:20, "You were bought at a price. Therefore, honor God with your bodies." That was when it hit me. I haven't been honoring God with my body. Don't get confused by this statement, though. I don't mean it in the sense that I've given in to sexual impurity or forms of gluttony. What I mean is that I have not been exercising and honoring God by keeping myself in the best shape possible.
Ever since my marathon back in May, I haven't really done much running. I did the Warrior Dash in June, but with minimal training and I felt sluggish the entire time. I also participated in the Shawnee Mountain Mud Run, but I think I walked a lot of it because it was literally up a ski mountain. That race was back in August, though, and my exercise regimen has been sporadic at best ever since. In February, I had maybe ten days that I ran, but then I felt like I was getting sick, so I stopped that routine. The nice warm weather that came through mid-March provided me with a brief couple days where I was determined to get outside to run to enjoy the sunny days I was blessed with, but this also passed. I just seem to have this inability to remain dedicated to the sport. I've become a little too good at talking myself out of running due to either aches and pains, or it just seems difficult because I'm so out of practice.
After reading my email from PrayFit, I realized that I was neglecting my body in the service of our Lord. Now I know that I can't do anything to save my soul (Ephesians 2:8), but a thought crossed my mind. If I can't even take care of myself by doing a daily exercise routine that takes up 2-4% of my entire time, how can I possibly dedicate myself to helping others realize they need Jesus, which requires much more time and effort? My hope is that I will renew my thinking about exercise and that I will realize that my ability to run is a blessing from God that must be utilized. There are so many people who can't run either due to disease, disability, or injury, that it would be a shame for me to waste my ability all because I just don't feel like lacing up my sneakers to struggle through a run. What I need to remember is that over time, it'll get easier. Much like how our souls need to be sanctified in order to be obedient to Christ, in a sense, my mind and body need to be sanctified in order to be obedient to my running regimen. I believe that if I look at my running as a ministry tool, it'll become easier to re-dedicate myself to the sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment