Monday, February 13, 2012

W.A.I.T. Part 5: Forget the Past

And I won't look back 'cause there's no use. Its time to move forward.
"Feeling Sorry" Paramore

I think that Paramore is onto something by talking about the need to focus on what's ahead, not what's behind. Too often we are apt to get caught up in the mistakes of the past, which leave us at a standstill emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. Replaying the past can't change it, and it only hinders your present and possibly your future. Learning to let go is one of the most important lessons that we can learn.
Isaiah 43:18 tells us, "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past." This ancient prophet knew how important it was to focus on the future. During this time, it was more important to look forward to the coming of Christ instead of looking back on the stringent Commandments that Moses brought forth. There is hope in Christ, while the law seems to carry a burden.
In the world of running, nobody says it better than Frank Shorter. One of his famous quotes is, "You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming." This quote rings true in my life. Back in May, I started my third marathon, which was the second one that I finished. It was of utmost importance for me to forget my last marathoning experience, which had taken place in November of 2007. It was a freezing cold day in Harrisburg and I started the race too fast and had ingested too many fluids. By mile 18, I was feeling sick to my stomach and began to walk, but that only made my legs hurt even more. I ended up dropping out at mile 22 feeling like I had failed. I remained discouraged for many months as I kept questioning whether or not I could have indeed completed the race. Eventually I let the whole experience go from my mind and gained enough courage to train and start another marathon. I faced my fair share of struggles during that race, but because I was not focused on my past failure, I was able to cross the finish line.
In the same sense, we must take this approach in all aspects of our lives. We can't dwell on what we did wrong during school, job interviews, relationships, or friendships. If we continue to replay the past, we'll never be able to grow in the future. It's too easy to miss out on some of the blessings of today by cluttering our minds with yesterday. Nothing can be changed accept how we approach each new day. Instead of being self-centered and moping about how awful certain aspects of life have been, focus on what you can do to promote Christ and live in a way pleasing to Him. This is the main focus of Philippians 3:13-14 ~ "Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
A sure way to nurture a spiritual environment in which one can thrive is to have one free of past clutter. It's okay to maintain memories of the past as long as they aren't hurting your future. Don't hoard negative thoughts within your brain or else you might miss out on the bright future that the Lord has planned out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment