Tuesday, February 14, 2012

In Loving Memory

This Valentine's Day I would like to take the time to remember a fallen runner. Her name is Katelyn Martibello and it was on this day three years ago that she passed away in a car accident. Katelyn and I weren't especially close, but I do believe I held a minor role in turning her into a distance runner. We attended the same elementary school, but were two grades apart. I had been a part of the Hershey track and field program since the third grade and was drawn to longer distances. During my eighth grade year, Katelyn decided that she wanted to try out long distance races, so we would train together by running laps around Damascus School. Along with those training runs, we played against each other in softball and would occasionally see each other at the local swimming hole along the Delaware River called Skinners Falls.
The next year I was in high school and Katelyn moved to another town to attend North Pocono high school. Thankfully, she continued racing on the track team and we would see each other at dual meets and invitationals. I think my favorite moments during my track career involved racing against North Pocono because Katelyn would always come over to give me a hug before races and I became really good friends with her teammates over the years. It got to the point that I actually think I had more cheers coming from the North Pocono team as I raced in the two mile at districts than from Honesdale. Maybe it was because they were located on the backstretch by the 200 meter mark that made them sound louder; it's hard to know, but I like to think Katelyn had a lot to do with it. My senior year of high school at the district meet, the distance girls from both Honesdale and North Pocono all posed for a group picture. I think it was fitting to have Katelyn right behind me for this final day that we saw each other.
It saddens me to know that I didn't see her between May 2006 and February 2009. In January 2009, Katelyn did send me a friend request on Facebook in an attempt to reconnect. Unfortunately, we never messaged each other to catch up, which is something that I regret. My hope is that she is enjoying her time in heaven with Jesus and is watching over me as I run. She was always full of energy and I was blessed to know her, even for a short while.

No comments:

Post a Comment