Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Elusive Runner's High

If you have been a runner as long as I have, which is probably around fifteen years, then you've probably experienced what is known as runner's high. This is a state of euphoria that we all strive to achieve because it makes us feel light on our toes, almost as if we are floating across the ground. I myself have experienced this feeling, but only a handful of times. The one moment I distinctly remember was back during my junior year of high school. My team had a cross country meet against Montrose, but it had been down-pouring all day long. But since runners are much like the postal service motto of old, the race wasn't cancelled even though every other sporting event in the area was. 
What made this race memorable and euphoric had a lot to do with how I started the race. The course had a downhill start (which is crazy and unheard of) and the ground was slick and soggy thanks to hours of pounding rain. As I barreled down the decline, my left foot found a nice sized hole and the next thing I knew, I was sliding on my butt down the hill. Most might say that this isn't a joyous way to begin a race, but what you need to realize is the fact that I was sliding as fast as everybody else was running, and once I reached the bottom, I popped right back up onto my feet without losing my spot in the race. I couldn't stop laughing over how amazing a start that was and glided my way through the rest of the 3 miles. I believe I ended up third because the top girl for Montrose was almost as elusive as experiencing runner's high.
I think what many runner's forget is that running is a lot of hard work, especially when you're getting back into it after a 9 month hiatus, like I am currently. There is nothing euphoric about rolling out of bed (or in my case, the couch) at 7:20am to bundle up and face the crisp winter air for a 3.5 mile run. It's a struggle to get my feet going, so I've been using music as a motivator. I also try to tell myself that the faster I run, the sooner I can jump into a hot shower and forget about this chilly morning ritual. Due to this drudgery, I have yet to even come close to an inkling of runner's high. Heck, I can't even remember the last time I truly experienced it, but I like to think it was probably on a warm summer's day with a steady mist falling from the sky. If I wasn't a runner of fifteen years, I also might assume that runner's high is just some myth that others made up as some ploy to get some couch potato up and out the door. But since I know it exists, I continue to press on every morning in order to get my body back into shape. 
I think in a way many people of the world assume that God is a myth because they refuse to put the effort in to build a relationship with Him. They claim that their prayers just fall on deaf ears because they feel that God is not really out there, or if He is, that He is just ignoring them. But like running, building a relationship with God takes time and energy, and yes, work. God doesn't just answer you over night. He functions outside the realm of time, which is hard for us to fathom, but we aren't meant to understand. We are called to believe in His existence and in Jesus as our Savior. He guides our steps, even if we don't sense it. To remain confident in this, meditate on Deuteronomy 31:6, which states, "'Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.'" Even when you feel all alone and no longer want to struggle forward in your day, remember that God is with you every step of the way and that if you stick with it and continue to build your faith in Him, you will one day experience euphoria in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment