Thursday, September 29, 2011

Analysis: How I Relate to Switchfoot's New Album Vice Verses


“I can't just shut it up and fake that I'm alright.”           
“Cause everyday the world is made. A chance to change but I feel the same. And I wonder why would I wait till I die to come alive? I'm ready now.”
~Afterlife
There is no use pretending that you are fine. You are merely lying to yourself and to everyone around you. The best change you can possibly make is to center your life around Christ in order to become truly alive.

“Speak your mind up. Come on baby free yourself.”
“Free yourself; don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original.”
“So you say you're just a lost soul; I know you better than that.”
“So you say you're just a face in city race wasted and sick of it all.”
~The Original
When possible and when you gain the courage, always speak your mind. Don't let anybody suppress your feelings or opinions. We all feel lost at times, but with God on our side, everything will be alright. He knows what is on your heart at all times. Also, methodical living can always get you down, but your goal is to keep looking up.

“Breathe out let your mind unwind. Eyes on the ceiling, looking for the feeling.”
“Yeah, it's where the fight begins. Yeah, underneath the skin between these hopes and where we've been. Every fight comes from the fight within. I am the war inside.”
“I am the war I fight.”
“Ain't no killer like pride. No killer like I. No killer like what's inside.”
~The War Inside
We are all fighting an internal battle against demons. We get infused with lies that we can begin to believe if we don't ask for the strength of the Holy Spirit. The biggest killer is our pride because it drives us to convince ourselves that we are the most important things on this planet, so we must guard ourselves in order to prevent it from being a destructive killer.

“I am restless, I run like the ocean to find your shore; I’m looking for you. I am the one that you left behind, I am the thorn stuck in your side. I am the bored and clouded eyes looking for the well that won’t run dry. Running hard for the other side, the world that I’ve always been denied. Running hard for the infinite with the tears of the saints and hypocrites.”
~Restless
We all get restless here on Earth searching for more meaning to our lives. It is best to always run towards God and strive to know more about His character. Best to run from the worldly in search of Christ. The stronger the desire, the more tears shed if we are denied the other side.

“Hey girl, don't conform now. No one else's got soul like you. Hey girl, you're a strong one, but none of us are bulletproof.”
“Deep down there's a hope inside. You got wings but you're scared to fly. Wake up, wake up.”
“Still looking for the reason why. Still looking for the sun to shine.”
“All my life I've been living in the darkest night.”
“Deep down there's a hope inside brighter than the fears in my mind. I keep looking for the blinding light. It's a hope that keeps me alive.”
~Blinding Light
Our human nature desires to fit in, but as Christian's, we are called to be different. We are urged not to conform because we are all uniquely and wonderfully made. Fear also overwhelms us whenever change is inevitable. We need to spread our wings and be brave enough to fly instead of remaining grounded due to doubts in our mind. God's love is that blinding light that can ease the fears in our minds and bring hope for a brighter tomorrow.

“See, opinions are easier to swallow than facts. The greys instead of the whites and the blacks. If you shoot it too straight it won't come back.”
“I wanna believe you, I wanna believe, but everything is in-between. The fact is fiction. Suspicion is the new religion.”
~Selling the News
Satan has injected doubt into this age of technology. The ability to believe based sheerly on our heart's desire has been greatly impacted in this know-it-all generation. This mounting doubt has created a cloud of suspicion over almost every aspect of life.

“Been fighting things that I can't see like voices coming from the inside of me. Like doing things I find hard to believe in. Am I myself or am I dreaming?”
“No, I'm not alright. I know that I'm not right.”
“A warm body doesn't mean I'm alive.”
“Feel like I travel but I never arrive. I wanna thrive not just survive.”
“I try and hide it and not let it show, but deep down inside me I just don't know. Am I a man if I feel like a hoax?”
~Thrive
The voices inside us are derived from our sinful nature. It is hard to ignore them, which can lead us into a situation that we don't desire to be in and don't agree with. Sinful nature covers us like a cloud, which makes it hard to determine who we are and what we are doing. We are unaware of what's reality. It is also natural to question the strength of your faith and whether you truly believe or are just living out the lie of a hypocrite. We aren't truly living until we are living with Christ.

“I've made my mistakes, I've seen my heart cave in. I got my scars I've been to hell and back again. Born for the blue skies, we’ll survive the rain. Born for the sunrise, we’ll survive the pain.”
“Hey, you can’t count us out. We’ve been running up against the crowd. Yeah, we are the dark horses.”
~Dark Horses
We are all running against the crowd and we must continue to do so in order to please God. No matter what pain crushes your heart, it is best to remain in God's favor instead of striving to please other sinful humans who cannot bring us any true satisfaction in life.

“Here’s to the twilight. Here’s to the memories. These are my souvenirs; my mental pictures of everything.”
“So I close my eyes and go back in time. I can see you smiling, you’re so alive.”
“We were so young, we had no idea that nothing lasts forever.”
~Souvenirs
Life always runs astray. We can desperately try to catch up and maintain control, or we can let it go and ask God what path He desires for your life. You will always have your memories of happy times, but don't let the past prevent you from enjoying the present. Circumstances and people change and nothing lasts forever, so stop trying to prevent the change.


"I don't care what they're telling me. We could be what we want to be. Rise above it."
"Just because you're running doesn't mean that you're scared. Just because it's law doesn't mean it is fair. Never let another tell your soul what to fear."
~Rise Above It
Always follow your own heart and don't let anybody keep you from being who you want to be. It is better to take the high road than to argue with people's assumptions about your life. By running, one may just be looking for a new beginning and isn't actually scared of the circumstances. There's also the old adage that life isn't fair and we can't depend on any law on Earth to bring us peace of mind. Always look to God for guidance and not your peers. God knows your heart and what you truly fear. Everybody else can just make assumptions about your deepest fears, and few will truly care about them or help you face them.

“Looking for signs in the night sky, wishing that I wasn’t such a nice guy. Wonder what it means to live forever? Wonder what it means to die?”
“I know that there's a meaning to it all. A little resurrection every time I fall.”
“Every blessing comes with a set of curses.”
“The wind could be my new obsession. The wind could be my new depression. The wind goes anywhere it wants to, wishing that I learned my lesson.”
“Where are you in my broken heart? Everything seems to fall apart.”
~Vice Verses
After awhile, some begin to realize that the sinner seems to have it easier than the believer. This causes us to wish that we weren't so nice and caring in order to avoid pain. It is natural to desire to live forever and be scared of death while constantly questioning its meaning. We are all well aware that God has a purpose behind everything and we yearn for life's meaning. Life is full of blessings, but hardships tend to accompany them. Our souls desire to be free like the wind, which can consume us in obsession, though we might become depressed when we realize that we cannot let our soul go everywhere it is drawn. When we encounter numerous hardships and our heart breaks constantly, leading to our world to fall apart, we begin to question God's existence and whether He is aware of our pain. We must trust that He is there even when our world is caving in.

“Still looking for a home in a world where I belong. Feels like we're just waiting, waiting while our hearts are just breaking, breaking. Feels like we're fighting against the tide.”
“On the final day I die I want to hold my head up high. I want to tell You that I tried.”
“And when I reach the other side I want to look You in the eye and know that I've arrived in a world where I belong.”
~Where I Belong
On Earth, we hardly ever feel like we belong. Constantly, we feel lost and broken because we look for happiness in all of the wrong places. God desires for us to call on Him, but we fight against the tide because we convince ourselves that we can do it on our own. Eventually, we'll all realize how much we need God and we will desire to try and live in a way to please Him. Our end goal should be heaven, which is the only place where we will feel like we belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment