Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Family is More Than Sharing a Bloodline

As some of you may know, I am currently in Europe visiting friends and family. What many of you may not be aware of is that fact that I have always yearned to have a close-knit family, but this has never been possible with the majority of my relatives in Germany. Now that I have spent a great deal of time with them, I have come to the following conclusion: family is more than sharing a bloodline.
On Saturday, Nick and I found ourselves on a flight to Paris. We were going to play tourists for a handful of hours before hopping a train to Massy to visit our friends, Nate and Erica. In actuality, though, this visit to spend time with friends felt more welcoming and more like family than when I was with my relatives in Germany. The distinct difference is that we share the same faith as Nate and Erica, whereas the rest of my relatives say they are Christians, but don't truly have Jesus in their hearts.
On Sunday, we found ourselves in church, hearing a message spoken in French. Although I did not understand the sermon, I still felt very welcome in fellowship with the other believers. After the message, I actually ended up in a lengthy conversation with a woman who grew up in the Champagne region of France, but had moved to Massy about 20 years ago. It was very refreshing to be able to have comfortable conversation with this woman in English, in France of all places.
It is this like-mindedness in Christ and shared faith that truly makes a family. Without God at the center, we feel very disconnected. This trip has definitely reminded me that family is not always about who you are related to, but who you share your faith with. Those of similar faith are those best suited to you for personal and spiritual encouragement. Romans 1:12 says, "that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith." I find this verse to be completely true. Those Christians who I find myself bound closest to are the one's who provide the most meaningful encouragement in my life. And that, in my mind, is the true meaning of family.

2 comments:

  1. "Like"!

    Also, I'm super jealous you went to church in France...whenever our Eurotrip happens we so have to do that. =) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yea we definitely will have to do that...let's hope next summer =)

    ReplyDelete