Thursday, March 14, 2013

Contrary to Popular Belief

An erroneous concept that society enjoys promoting is that we as humans are in charge of our own destiny. Sure, we can make decisions that impact our present and future, but we aren't truly in control of any strict outcomes. I have no control over what job I will end up with, or whether I'll get married and have kids. Yes, I can send in job applications to get my name in the mix for certain positions, but I have no clear control over the selection process. What we need to all realize and accept is that God is the one truly in charge.
I have been acutely aware of the fact that God is in control the past month and a half, specifically the past week. In my volunteer work, I have come across people who are at the end of their rope with no way out, and then "all of a sudden" a door is opened. The only reason a way out is ever provided is because of God. He knows what is best for us and if we put our lives in His hands, He will care for us. God can do the impossible if we are willing to lay down our pride and give Him all the credit. In Matthew 19:23-26, Jesus speaks about how it is very hard for a rich man to get into heaven. Jesus essentially says that it is impossible for man to save himself, but with God, all things are possible.
This week has emphasized the lack of control humans on their own have in life. My friend's cousin was in a car accident three weeks ago and is currently in a coma in need of a liver transplant. No matter what any of us do, we can't change her health, which is why I have started a prayer chain, telling anybody I know to pray for the situation because God is the one who can heal her. I was thankful that I was led to open my Bible the other night to Psalm 41:3, which says, "The Lord sustains him on his sickbed; in his illness you restore him to full health." This verse is what is providing me with the hope that God will heal my friend's cousin and restore her strength. Without God, it will be impossible. No human can possibly bring about her recovery, which is why we all must pray and relinquish control to God so that He can do His work and be glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment