Friday, December 21, 2012

Heart for the Lost

Do you ever feel drawn to certain people, but you don't know why? I've come to notice that I tend to interact with people in life and in social media who are struggling with issues and feel lost. I'm not quite sure why I'm drawn to such people. Maybe it's because I have such an intense desire to help and encourage others, even though I know that my impact on their circumstances is minimal. Maybe it's because the broken are always more honest and open about who they really are and I thrive on honesty. I'd much rather spend time with an admitted alcoholic than somebody who appears to have it all together, but is hiding part of who they really are. I don't have time for shams because I can always sense it.
I think a lot of it lies within my personality. I've taken the DISC personality test and there's no question that I represent steadiness. If I look at the list of attributes for someone with a steady personality, I come across the following: demonstrating patience, helping others, showing loyalty, being a good listener, and calming excited people. I like to think that my personality has some striking similarities to this list, which reinforces why I am drawn to those that others might not give the time to get to know. I've also taken surveys that highlight spiritual gifts, and the winners for me tend to be having mercy and encouragement. I have always noticed that I'm blessed with the ability to encourage certain individuals at just the right time, or I feel moved to send an encouraging text or email for no real reason. There are some who find this a bit odd, but I'm a firm believer in the fact that everybody needs a kind word to get through the day sometimes, so why not send something in the hopes of brightening a person's day?
My point in all of this is the fact that we all need to be sensitive to other people's needs and try our best to understand how we might be able to reach out and touch others. We are living in a difficult time where violence and unrest seem to be sprouting up and the most important thing for us to do is share the Gospel and have a heart for the lost. Proverbs 24:11 says, "Rescue those who are being taken away to death; hold back those who are stumbling to slaughter." All around us everyday are people who meet this description. There are so many lost people out there who are caught up in greed, addiction, idolatry, and adultery that need a kind word of encouragement and deserve to hear about the Lord. Heaven is not for people who have their lives together, but for misfits who realize they need a Savior. Nobody is good enough in God's eyes, which is why we are saved by grace and it's the job of Christians to share this message with the world. It won't be easy, but take the time to consider your words when sharing with other people. They might not feel worthy or knowledgeable about God or Christianity. Try to formulate sentences to allow them to open their hearts to the possibility that they are wrong. Tell them to pray and believe in Jesus. God is the one who will save them in the end, but have a heart for the lost and be the salt and the light in somebody's life before it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment