Friday, December 21, 2012

Believing Truth

But the things you're telling me
I can't yet believe
Yet can't ignore
But I'll just have to accept
That my mind is so inept
And the only thing that's left
For me is to trust you
Put the emphasis on the evidence
Begging for the proof
Sometimes the hardest thing to believe is the truth

Cause sometimes when you're trying to sleep
And all your doubts and your faith don't agree its cause
Sometimes the hardest thing to believe is the truth
~The Truth by Relient K

When I was out driving around the other day, The Truth by Relient K came on my iPod. I've heard the lyrics many times before, but I was struck by the words this time around. I don't think I always consider how hard it is for nonbelievers to accept the Word of God as truth. I've been a Christian for almost ten years, which sometimes puts me at a disadvantage with those around me trying to come to faith. I don't remember what it's like not to believe and how to convey the message in a way that will make others turn to Jesus and examine the facts on the table.
I think I also tend to forget about the huge "behind the scenes" battle, so to speak, most commonly referred to as spiritual warfare. Satan is always trying to keep people from discovering and believing God. Paul spoke of this fact in 2 Corinthians 4:4, which states, "In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God." It is important to know what we are all up against, mainly the opposition forces determined to hinder any spiritual growth in an unbeliever. As Christians, we need to share the Gospel and pray for these people to accept the truth. Preach John 14:6 so that people know that Jesus said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" Only when Christians align with God to campaign against the Great Deceiver can any ground be won for unbelievers in beginning to accept the truth. We must continuously plant seeds in people's lives in order for God to nurture them into faith if they are willing to dismiss their doubts and choose belief in Christ.
I think the best verse that highlights the discrepancy between Christians and unbelievers can be found in 1 Corinthians 1:18 ~ "For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." Those who haven't accepted Christ into their hearts believe that the Gospel and Jesus dying for the world are complete foolishness. Their hearts and minds can't fathom how this is possible, and thus, they dismiss it based on it being utterly ridiculous. They refuse to accept the facts of the Bible. Instead, they claim there is no substantial proof for God's existence. The Christian, on the other hand, chooses to accept Christ into their hearts, even if it's difficult to believe the truth at first. It's not until this acceptance of the Gospel that we are blessed with the Holy Spirit, which can slowly reveal to us the spiritual truths that our human minds cannot begin to comprehend (1 Corinthians 2:13).
If you are a nonbeliever and reading this, I urge you to take that leap of faith and accept Christ into your heart. Once you accept Him, the incomprehensible truth about God will slowly be revealed to you on your journey of faith. Remember, sometimes the hardest thing to believe is the truth, but it is also lifesaving and essential for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment