Sunday, January 1, 2012

Finding Where I Belong

Ringing in 2012, I realized how close the lyrics to Switchfoot's "Where I Belong" apply to my life. I joined friends at an Irish pub to celebrate the new year, but I just felt out of place. I'm not opposed to dancing and loud music, but I just wasn't in the mood. My friends are a lot of fun, but I always feel awkward on New Year's Eve. I think that's because my life is finally following Romans 12:2, which states, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." I've come to realize that I really don't conform to this world, which makes me feel a bit out of place. Most of the time I'm not bothered by this, but it seems to be exemplified on New Years. All the more reason I can relate to the following lyrics from "Where I Belong":

Where the weak are finally strong
Where the righteous right the wrongs
Still looking for a home
In a world where I belong

This body's not my own
This world is not my own
But I still can hear the sound
Of my heart beating out
So let's go boys, play it loud
On the final day I die
I want to hold my head up high
I want to tell You that I tried
To live it like a song


My goal for the new year is to embrace my non-conformity and to not let it drag down my thoughts. I need to remember that it is better to not conform to the ways of the world and that following Jesus is the  only proper way to live my life. By following the path He provides, I'm bound to discover that place where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment