Monday, May 2, 2011

Life: The Continual Journey

"Life is a journey, not a destination." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

It’s that time of year again: finals week in college, and my last finals week ever. One would think that I might have an overwhelming sense of accomplishment now that I am so close to acquiring my Master of Science degree in Clinical Exercise Physiology. Unfortunately, in my mind, that piece of paper seems moot. Many people in society believe that once they go through college that they will automatically discover what it is they want to do the rest of their lives. They act like graduation day is this epitome of self-discovery, instead of realizing that there is no distinct end point in life; only numerous transitions.
One will never fully understand their purpose in life, and that was the point that Jesus was trying to get across to His disciples in Acts 1:7, which says, “He said to them: ‘It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.’” The disciples wanted to know when they would be baptized with the Holy Spirit, but Jesus was pointing out that it was better that they not know in order to build faith. The unknown always helps to build faith because one must put their trust, not in himself, but in God. He is the only One who knows where we are heading in the journey of life.
Another important point to make is that we cannot live out someone else’s dreams. We must focus on our own goals and make decisions based on our evaluation of situations. It is silly for me to think that I can be an Olympic weightlifter when I have a petite frame that is built for running. It is just as foolish for somebody else to choose a profession or move to another part of the world based on some other person’s life dream. One must remember that people are fallible and by no means reliable, so why base important, life-changing decisions off of them? In the words of Emerson, "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
One should always turn to the Lord when life is turbulent and unknown. He knows your heart and can provide necessary guidance. With His help, I have already come a long way. I am a far cry from who I was only months ago: an angry, shy, discontented follower, and former runner. Now, I am being blessed with opportunities to lead and help others bolster their faith, and I finally have a sense of contentment. Along with that, I am now less than two weeks away from running my second marathon and have applied to be a temporary professor. This is proof that God uses everybody in a particular way and that life is a continuous journey of change and re-invention. Don't be fooled, though. This does not mean that I have everything figured out. I have come to the conclusion that I still really have no idea about where I am heading or what I plan on doing for the rest of my life. Most people might panic in such a situation, but that’s not the case with me. Instead, I trust the Lord to slowly steer me in the right direction and provide me with opportunities that He sees fit. This does not mean that I don’t have some ideas or plans in the back of my mind. I have plenty of travel plans and potential career avenues, but I will focus on the words in Proverbs 19:21: “Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”

No comments:

Post a Comment