Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Running in Jesus' Name

Many feel that running is a selfish act.  You are an individual in a wide field and upon winning, many accolades are given.  If you are running for yourself, I can easily see that running can be taken in this fashion.  But if you are running for another purpose, to bring glory to Jesus and God, then running is perfectly acceptable and not thought of as a selfish act. 
Running should be approached in the same fashion as prayer.  The verse, "You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.", from John 14:14, highlights how prayer should be performed.  We are not to ask for anything in a selfish manner.  Our goal with prayer should be to bring glory to God, and by asking in Jesus' name, we do just that.  We relinquish any semblance of control by admitting that without Jesus, we cannot get anywhere.  This is exactly how I view my running and my upcoming marathon.  I know that I cannot do it on my own and through conscious thought and prayer, I have been blessed with an abundance of running partners because God knows that I cannot accomplish a marathon without some help along the way.  God has provided me with the proper time and opportunity to accomplish another marathon, and He has also blessed me with determination to accomplish that feat in Jesus' name.

No comments:

Post a Comment