Monday, November 26, 2012

God as Our Focal Point

It is often easy to drift from God as the central pillar of our existence. In new social situations, other people can become our focus and impact how we act. Part of us wants to be loved and accepted, so we either change our actions to blend in with others, or we question whether or not people will like us for who we truly are.
To be honest, I tend to fall into the latter category of constantly questioning whether people will like the real me. I'm typically very upfront about who I am and will share any and all aspects of my life because I would rather people know me for me than somebody else. The problem is that I can become consumed with doubt. There are times that I feel I share information that others would rather not know, and then I question if that'll cause them to avoid me or distance themselves from me.
What I've come to realize and have been convicted about in my heart is the fact that I can become too concerned with how I'm perceived by my peers, rather than how I am perceived by God. The verse that really struck me was Galatians 1:10, which says, "For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ." This is what Paul presented when he was questioned about the Gospel he was sharing. He wasn't doing it to get man's approval, but he was serving Jesus.
In the same fashion, I must remember that I am here on Earth to serve God by sharing the Gospel and living as the unique creation that God meant for me to be. I cannot allow the assumed opinions of others to hold back my potential, nor can I doubt people's sincere interest in my life. Both reduce who I am and allow Satan to utilize my weaknesses to try and turn me against God. Rather, I must embrace who I am and my personality because God has blessed me with every aspect of my individuality and I must not think less of myself in light of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment