Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Word Needs to Be Read

"How would you know to be Christ-like if you don’t even read the Bible to know how Christ is." ~Francis Chan

I had a bit of a wake up call the other day. One of my blog followers brought to my attention that I might be a bit weak in the faith department if I'm so easily influenced by my coworkers, allowing the world to slowly control my actions. His suggestion was that I needed to make sure to read the Bible everyday so that I'm constantly immersed in the Word. Some might have a knee-jerk reaction of anger, but I was actually quite thankful for the carefully worded rebuke and advice.
In Galatians 5:16, we are told, "...walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh." But what I've come to realize is that one cannot understand the inner workings of the Spirit if the Word is not read. Only God can provide us with the wisdom on how to lead our lives and act in the world, and if the Bible is neglected, our faith weakens and we're easily influenced by the world that surrounds us on a daily basis. 
My follower suggested reading Psalm 51, which I found quite useful, particularly verse 51:10, which says, "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." Too often humans insist on going about their lives on their own without consulting God. Even though we are weak and sinful creatures, we continually insist that we know best. On the contrary, we are the ones most likely to bungle our lives and end up in a mess if we don't refresh our Spirit everyday by reading the Word and understanding how to walk as a Christian. It is my goal to make reading the Bible a priority in my life in order to help prevent being so easily influenced by the unbelievers who surround me on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment